13 Questions and 12 Answers on NTM
- What is NTM?
The Network for Transport Measures (NTM) is a non-profit organisation who works independently of partial interests to establish methods and data which enable credible calculations of transports’ environmental, climate and energy performance. With credible and reliable methods and data, changes can be traced which are realised in different transport systems.
- What does NTM do?
- We are striving towards standardised calculation methods for transports’ total environmental performance.
- We collect and develop relevant, credible and easy-to-use as well as international environmental data for all transport modes and different fuels.
- We develop support tools for the calculation of the environmental impact of goods and passenger transports.
- We provide tools for the environmental evaluation of transport providers.
- We constitute a forum for exchange of experience and know-how in the area of transports’ environmental impact.
- We organise seminars and trainings on transports’ environmental aspects, environmental technology and environmental trends.
- We try to raise the general understanding of the connection between transportation and environment.
- Who is behind NTM?
NTM was initiated in 1993 by a variety of actors in the transport industry, above all transport providers and buyers of transport services.
- Who is doing the work?
Our work is carried out in the working groups of the network composed of NTM’s members who decide on continuous improvements. The subsequent work is often carried out by externally contracted experts. Our progress is presented on NTM’s homepage, in reports, during education days, member meetings and in NTM’s Newsletter.
- Which working groups exist within NTM?
Currently, four working groups exist of which three are active:
- GOODS & LOGISTICS: The working group Goods & Logistics develops methods and environmental data for freight transportation. The first database for freight transportation’s environmental performance was presented in 1997 and has since then been continuously developed to include more and more international methods and data. In 2002, a web-based calculation tools named NTMCalc Goods 1.0 was available which the working group continuously develops further. The current work is focused on the improvements of methods, data and tools as well as on the education of users of the calculation model.
- TRAVEL: The working group Travel develops methods and environmental data for passenger transportation. The first database for passenger transportation’s environmental performance was available in 1999 and has since then been continuously developed further. In 2003, a web-based calculation tool was presented under the name of NTMCalc Travel 1.0 which is continuously updated. Now, the focus of the working group is on improving methods, data and tools as well as on the education of users of the calculation model.
- FUELS: The working group Fuels has the goal to agree on relevant energy and emission values for the operation of vehicles with traditional and alternative fuels. The group even collects energy use and emission values from production of fuels. The material is published in reports which are presented on the homepage.
- TRANSPORT PROCUREMENT: The working group Transport Procurement aims at developing an effective method for the evaluation of transport providers’ environmental performance. Currently, a tool for the evaluation of transport services is available. The tool has been in use for several years. Right now, the working group develop a fundamentally new approach on transport procurement through NTMEcap.
- Who can contribute in the working groups?
All who represent a member company are welcome to join one or more working groups.
- How is NTM managed?
NTM is managed by a board consisting of a chairman and six to eight members. The chairman is elected for one year and the members for two years. The board is a quorum if more than half of the members are present.
- What has NTM accomplished so far?
NTM has (or continues to do):
- developed method reports for environmental calculations for all transport modes (goods and passengers)describing the underlying principles for the calculations,
- assembled emission and energy data for all transport modes which are presented in different levels of detail on the homepage
- assembled environmental data for the environmental, climate and energy performance of different fuels
- developed and offers web-based calculation tools (NTMCalc) for goods and passenger transportation NTMCalc 3.0 as ”state-of-the-art” calculation tools,
- become a forum for national and international exchange of know-how and cooperation in the transport industry and between transport providers and buyers of transports,
- participates as technical expert in the development of a European standard (CEN) for goods and passenger transportation’s climate impact and energy use,
- pursues an international standard for calculation of goods and passenger transportation’s environmental/climate impact and energy use within PCR (Product Category Rules).
- Who can become a member?
All companies and organisations with an interest in transportation and environment can become members in NTM. Companies and organisations from the whole world who work with transport and logistics are welcome.
- Who is a member today?
Among NTM’s approximately 150 members are transport providers, buyers of transport services, automobile manufacturers, authorities, universities and consultants.
- What does it cost?
The membership costs between 100 and 1,000 €, depending on the company’s turnover and organisation form. For more information, please visit the respective information on www.ntmcalc.org.
- Is the company or the individual person member in NTM?
It is the company, which is member. Each member company chooses a contact person as representative.
- When do you join NTM?
More questions? Please send an email to email@example.com.